How to Treat and Eliminate Infant constipation Part 2
In Part one of these series, we looked at the various causes of infant constipation and the myths surrounding the use of certain "cures" such as laxatives, suppositories et.c In this concluding part, we'll be examining the varied solutions available to us in the eliminating of infant constipation.
1. Do not under any circumstances give infants enemas or laxatives. This can cause so much havoc in the nearest future as they do not have a body system that can take the stress of breaking down all that amount of chemical.
2. For as long as possible, breast fed the child as this is the easiest food type that the baby can break down.
3. Give lots of water. As a newborn donít give more than a small eye-dropper full of water. As your baby grows up and comes of age, give a bottle of water to her to suck on throughout the day. If you feel there is a need for it, add a little Rooibos tea (cooled) to the water-bottle. In case you are wondering what a Rooibos tea is, it is a natural tea made from herbs (Aspalathus Linearis) found only in the South African Cedarberg mountains.
4. Use magnesium popularly found in the form of magnesium citrate. This aids the contraction of the peristaltic muscles resulting in bowel evacuation. Apart from this, it enables the muscles of the intestine to function maximally. When giving it to the child, it is better to start with 1/16 of a tablespoon added to water which is given to the child. This can be continually applied until the child consistently has satisfactory bowel movements.
5. Use baby enema. To do this, apply olive oil to the tip of a bulb syringe containing about one to three (1-3) tablespoons of lukewarm water, and insert gently in the baby's colon. Be careful that there is no air in the bulb. After a few minutes, your baby should naturally have a bowel movement. Do this until satisfied.
6. Massage the baby. This simple act can ease tension in the baby, improves digestion, improves the growth of the baby and generally helps her fight off diseases.