The Addiction to Smoke
One of the advancements regarding this matter is the introduction of nicotine patches. These patches help quench the smokerís appetite for nicotine as it provides steady inflow of the chemical without puffing a cigarette, and it also decreases the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal .
These patches are applied topically to the upper part of a clientís body, usually on the upper arm, everyday. A single patch is taken off in the evenings to give the personís bloodstream a rest from the influx of nicotine. There are some brands though that can be worn in the nighttime. These patches are usually available for either a month and a half or a little over two months of treatment time. Drugstores now carry these patches and there are some nicotine patches that can be bought even without a prescription. Like many of these new quick help advancements though, lifestyle changes can vastly increase the success of these treatments.
Like almost everything that people use, side effects are to be considered. These include itching, lightheadedness, tachycardia or increased heart rate, sleep disorders, headaches, and muscle aches. All of these manifestations may be related to the amount and dose of the nicotine, the brand of the patch the client is using, tolerance and sensitivity of the client to patches, the duration of usage, and if the patches are correctly applied.
Here are some special considerations if ever such anaphylactic reactions occur:
1. Always remember not to smoke for the whole duration of the treatment.
2. Check first for the first few patches to determine whether or not you are allergic to a certain brand of nicotine patch and if your skin develops irritation and sensitivity.
3. Try to decrease the dose of the patches to limit the amount of nicotine that is sent to the body.
4. If sleep problems occur, assess the condition in less than a week. If you are using a 24-hour patch and the problem only worsens or doesnít disappear at all, try changing your patch to a 16-hour one.
5. If unsure, stop usage at once and find another alternative for replacing nicotine.
Do not forget though that the best treatment is always prevention so even before you try a nicotine patch, make sure that you have checked and rechecked whether or not that certain patch is for you.